Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Love and Other Stuff

I love watching Lucy fall in love.

I can see how some people hate watching their kids reach for other people, but I'd rather have Lucy love and trust the person she's with.  And she, after all of two visits from Carrie the CNA, really likes Carrie.  She likes to play with Carrie and hug Carrie and make Carrie eat her necklace (Carrie's necklace, not Lucy's necklace.  Lucy does not wear necklaces.)

I guess my fear is that Carrie isn't me -- so she won't challenge her and teach her the way I will, and Lucy might not keep gaining skills.  So I'll have to teach Carrie, in this time, to think like me.  It's amazing how when you have a kid with a catastrophic illness, you do not fear that they will love their caregiver more.  You instead fear that there will be a stagnation in skills, or that they won't be loved enough because they're so different. 

God bless Carrie. 

As for the Other Stuff, well, Travis had a question about Dravet Spectrum Disorders.  So I called our genetic counselor.  Let me catch y'all up. 

DSDs are unlike most, if not all other genetic disorders in that when you break an SCN1A or SCN1B gene, you may have any of the following:  Febrile seizures, GEFS+, ICE-GTC, SIMFE, or SMEI, which is Dravet Syndrome.  I've listed them in order from mild to severe.  We already know that Febrile Seizures, the mildest form, is off the table.  If you want a brief catchup, go here.

GEFS+ is the next one, and the last of these to be classified as "mild."  We've seen the "G" explained as "generalized" or "genetic" -- and so we wanted to know if that meant that there needed to be a family history for this to still be a possibility. 

Look, we pretty much knew, given how her seizures progress, that this one was off the table, too.  And we also are smart enough to know that labeling Lucy at this point isn't helping.  Knowing that she has this mutation helps, but labeling her after that doesn't, except to give us some closure and maybe give us some idea that it has gotten as bad as it can get. Naming the beast doesn't change treatments or meds, or anything.  We still have to be as aggressinve as we can, and we still have to stop trying to limit her abilities as much as we can.  In fact, I think not naming it keeps us from limiting her as best we can. 

But GEFS+ needs a family history of seizures, which we don't have, and so it is off the table.  Which means we are now in the part of the map where there be dragons.

Beware, dragons.  You don't know what you're up against. 

No comments:

Post a Comment