Tuesday, February 5, 2013

What? I'm back.

And where to begin?

I guess with some of the big stuff I don't tell Facebook. Let's go ahead and open Pandora's box. Lu has a Dravet Spectrum Disorder. On facebook, we call it a "genetic mutation" that causes her epilepsy. We call it this because we haven't yet completed the testing that will tell us if it is a de novo mutation (a new mutation that occurred in Lucy alone) or an inherited mutation from one of us. Kind people, some of whom are related to me, keep telling me that they are sure that one day she will outgrow these seizures.

It will never happen.

 Lucy will have seizures her entire life. This syndrome will affect every aspect of her life. 20% of the individuals diagnosed with these disorders do not live to see their 18th birthday. I can't find statistics for life expectancy beyond that -- but I have yet to read about a Dravet patient living into his or her 80s.

Lucy is already experiencing some pretty severe motor delays. She has some obvious immune disregulation, though we haven't and probably cannot back that up with science. I took her to Lowe's for 20 minutes over the weekend. I wiped the cart with Lysol wipes and used the cart cover. I didn't let her touch anything and stayed 10 feet away from all people, including the checkout person. She now has a cold. I am home with her now, on leave from work, though I can't guarantee how long that will happen. Because of Lucy's fragile immune system, we're not sure if it's safe to put her back in daycare; or if it will be safe to expose her to the germs I could bring home; or if it will be safe to bring another person into the bubble to be her nanny.  There are so many uncertainties -- it's hard to make the right decisions.

In Greek and Roman myth, hope was at the bottom of Pandora's box. We think of this as a gift -- after all of the awfulness, a ray of light. I suppose that could make sense -- Lucy's name, after all, comes from the Latin word for light, "lux." However, the ancients would have recognized hope as the cruelest of the punishments in Pandora's box. Hope allows for the idea that life might change -- that things might get better. The cruelest part of Dravet's is what it ultimately takes away -- the child you had. You see, children with Dravet's often develop mostly normally for the first 2 years of their lives, and then they begin to regress. When we look at our little light, we often wonder if we might lose her. Slowly. A little at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment